Aurora’s food allergies can be so challenging to overcome- all grains and legumes, plus tree nuts, eggs, and coconut (among many others.) It has certainly been an adventure to come up with fun treats that Aurora can eat and we can all enjoy. For her 2nd birthday, I really wanted her to have a delicious cake just for her. And because the girl loves her some chocolate, it had to contain plenty of chocolately goodness. This cake turns out so moist and tender, every bite deserves being savored.
As you probably already know, plantains are quite a staple in our household, from tostones and plantain chips, to quick breads and pizza crust, plantains have become our go-to base for many new experimental recipes. This recipe just a few minutes to whip up, and is equally good in cake or cupcake form. I make my own plantain flour by dehydrating green plantain slices and then grinding them in a high speed blender until a fine powder. You could buy some here, or try substituting coconut flour.
- 3 large ripe (mostly black) plantains, peeled and cut into chunks.
- 3 Tbsp oil of choice
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar (ACV)
- 1/2 C plantain flour
- 1/4 C cocoa powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon (opt.)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Additional 1-2 Tbsp water, if needed
- 1/2 C chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350. Prepare cake pan(s) by lightly greasing, or muffin tins with muffin liners. (I like to use silicone.)
- Place the plantain chunks in a high speed blender, along with the oil, vanilla and ACV. Blend until smooth.
- Add the remaining ingredients and blend until well integrated. If batter is too thick, add 1-2 Tbsp water until a smooth, not too stiff batter is achieved. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Spoon into the cake pan or muffin cups.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes for cupcakes or 35-40 minutes for cake. They are done when slightly firm to the touch and a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool slightly before taking out of pan.
- We served this with a filling of crushed strawberries and a touch of honey, and then topped with cut strawberries.